INTRODUCTION

Fascination with my Vail family began as an attempt to solve a mystery:  A Robert Vail (born 1849 and my gggrandfather) family bible exists somewhere that states he is a descendant from a Paul Vail of London, England and that the father of Robert Vail is the enigmatic Charles N. Vail (I have not seen the bible, only a transcription of the records written by my grandmother Virginia Vail-Finnie).  I have been researching this Vail family for over 20 years and I can tell you that beyond a shadow of a doubt, the information in that bible is just not accurate.  The father of Robert Vail, born 1849, is James Henry Vail, who himself was of London, England, though only briefly.  The confusion, I believe, began with an old Vail letter that still exists, passed down the Robert Vail line to a descendant.  I currently have a copy of this letter, with several others.  Fortunately, I also have a copy of the envelope.  This particular letter, dated 1842, was written by an Eliza Vail-Edmond to her brother in Mobile, Alabama.  The letter is addressed to Jas H. Vail and I will admit, the script makes the name looks a lot like “Chas N. Vail” because of the extravagant handwriting of the period.  I suspect this to be the source of the confusion though I have no idea where or when the referenced Paul Vail is created.

This 1842 letter is hard to read and initially, I could only read names of family in New York state.  It was not until I finally translated the word “Troy” that I linked our Vails to the Rensselaer County, New York Vail family.  My Vail line goes like this, generation by generation, beginning with me:

Daniel Kenneth Drost
Betty Lou Finnie
Virginia VanZandt Vail
Quitman Daniel Vail
Robert Vail
James Henry Vail
James Vail
Moses Vail
Aaron Vail
Arthur Vail
Samuel Vail
Thomas Vail, the English immigrant

After translating the letter (which was quite a few years ago), I decided to contact a known grandchild of Robert Vail.  I sent her a letter reporting the exciting news that I had connected our Vails to the Rensselaer County New York Vails.  In the days before the computer and internet, I waited what seems like years for a response.  Finally, a letter arrived.  Yet, I did not get the thanks or gratitude I thought I would receive.  Instead Robert Vail's granddaughter politely informed me that I was incorrect and that Charles N. Vail was Robert Vail's father.  This type of story is not rare in family history and I can only wonder if decades ago, the Vail family did not attempt to hide some drama that transpired long ago.


This website will follow Moses Vail and his son James Vail from their birth to death.  Additionally, I will track James Vail’s son James Henry Vail, also following him from birth to death.  Many gaps are found in the existing data.  Gaps have been created by information that is missing - either never recorded or lost at some point in the last 200+ years.  There is also, I am sure, information out there that still exists and may provide us with a deeper understanding of these men.  Until these missing documents are found, the tales here will the best we have.  If you know more, I would love for you to contact me!  These makeshift biographies are attempts to keep the memory of these men alive so that what they did and who they were is not lost to history and to those family members they created.  Ultimately, I am trying to provide their ancestors with a connection to a piece of their past, their Vail past.  Laying all known information out in order helps us to understand how these Vails were shaped by the things that happened in their lives.  The stories will include local, regional, and world happenings as they certainly had an impact on who they were.